Lemon on Lemon on Lemon Pound Cake

Dorothy from Crazy for Crust adapted Martha Stewart’s lemon pound cake recipe, to be prepared with both a lemon glaze and a lemon drizzle. That’s right: lemon on lemon on lemon. I took Dorothy’s recipe and went another step, to make it vegan. I also opted to bake the cake in a bundt pan, rather than two loaf pans. It baked fine, though I didn’t wait long enough, before turning the cake out of the pan, and it broke apart a bit. You’re probably more patient than I, and your lemon bundt will be more beautiful than mine. The recipe calls for a total of a little more than 3/4 cup lemon juice, which I got from 2 1/2 lemons; and 2 tablespoons of lemon zest, which I got from 3 lemons. Depending on the size of lemons, and how juicy they are, you may need more. I’d suggest having at least 3 lemons on hand, but possibly 4, when making this recipe.

It could have been a real beauty, if I’d just waited another 5 or 10 minutes.

So here it is, my vegan version of the recipe:

Lemon Lemon Lemon Pound Cake
     for the cake:
1 cup vegan butter, softened, plus more for the pan
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp powdered egg replacer + 4 tbsp water (like Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer)
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp plain, vegan yogurt (like WholeSoy)
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
     for the drizzle:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a bundt pan, or 2 loaf pans.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl, and cream with an electric mixer, until fluffy.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer, water, and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, until smooth. Add the yogurt, zest, and vanilla and whisk again, to combine.
4. Add 1/4 of the egg replacer/yogurt/zest mixture to the creamed butter and sugar at a time. Beat well between each addition.
5. In a liquid measuring cup, stir the almond milk and lemon juice together.
6. In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
7. Mixing on low, add 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by 1/2 of the milk. Repeat, mixing gently between additions. End with the last 1/3 of flour. Beat just until the batter comes together, and be sure not to overmix.
8. Spread the batter in the bundt pan, or divide evenly into the 2 loaf pans. Bake for 40-50 minutes for loaf pans, or about 50 minutes for the bundt pan. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. While the cake is baking, make the glaze. Bring the juice and sugar to a simmer in a small sauce pan, over low heat. Stir, to dissolve the sugar, then remove from heat. Reserve until the cake is done baking.
10. When the cake(s) come out of the oven, cool in the pan for 15 minutes, if using loaf pans, or 25-30 minutes, if using a bundt pan. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack. Use a pastry brush to spread the glaze over the cake (top and sides of loaves, entire surface of bundt. All the cake to cool and dry completely, which will take at least 2 hours.
11. Make the drizzle, by whisking all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set the wire rack over a waxed paper lined baking sheet. Pour the drizzle over the cooled cake, allowing it to run down the sides. Allow the drizzle to dry and harden, about 30 minutes.
12. Slice and serve. Store leftover cake in the refrigerator.

Comments

1. Claire says

Looks like a delicious cake…I’m based in the UK and struggle with converting American recipes, both measurements and some ingredients, into the UK equivalents. Anyhow, I shall give it a whirl as I love lemon cake.
    My little boy (2 years) and I are both vegan. He is fit, healthy, thriving and adores food and experimenting with different cuisines. Great to see that there are other vegan families out there too!

• Sandra Kohlmann says

Just this morning, I was wondering how folks who use metric (you know, everybody outside the silly US), make my recipes. Are there any websites you rely on, for converting to metric? Are there specific ingredients you have trouble with? Maybe I can help you out.

2. C. L. Hinton says

I made this cake tonight. And I *loved* it. This cake reminds me of my aunt’s recipe for old-style pound cake (you know, pound of sugar + pound of butter + pound of flour–from when no one cared about light desserts). Your cake is super moist and dense like a nonvegan pound cake. Yum!

I may work out a less dense version in the future. But I don’t want to toy with that delicious light crispness that it has on top. Oh so good.

I think changing which egg replacer I use will probably help. This time, I used one of Mattie’s from veganbaking.net:

2 ½ cups arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
    ½ cup non-aluminum baking powder
    1 Tablespoon guar gum powder or xanthan gum powder

(I make it in a big batch and use a little out of the jar at a time when baking).

Thank you, Sandra! Or maybe darn you, Sandra! Because I can already tell that I am going to eat too much cake in the near future.

• Sandra Kohlmann says

I want to try making your egg replacer. What is the ratio of egg replacer to water for one egg?

So glad you liked the cake.

• C. L. Hinton says

To substitute for one egg, whisk 1 ½ teaspoons of Vegan Egg Replacer Powder into 3 Tablespoons of water.

Mattie’s website actually has multiple kinds of egg replacer recipes (like chia seed or ground flax seed, etc.). This powder is good as a structure builder in recipes.

• Sandra Kohlmann says

I think your best best would be to use 6 tablespoons of whipped, silken tofu, in place of the egg replacer. Just put the silken tofu in your food processor or blender, and blend until it is completely smooth and creamy.

• Sandra Kohlmann says

Vegan baking is not difficult at all. The key is to learn which egg replacers work best in which situations. For example, the original, Martha Stewart recipe called for 5 eggs. If I just used yogurt as the replacement, it would have been too heavy, and probably wouldn’t have risen well. If I’d just used the Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer, it likely would have been on the dry side. By using some of each, the result was perfect.