Veggie Dumpling Stew

This is a recipe that I originally posted two years ago. Back then I knew nothing about food photography. This is the picture I published with the recipe:

You totally want to make that, right? I know you don’t. But I want you to make this stew. It’s delicious. So I made it again and took new pictures.

vegan vegetable dumpling stew

Believe it or not, that’s the same stew. What a difference proper lighting, white balance, and staging can make, huh?

vegan vegetable dumpling stew

You get new photos. My family got a great supper. I think it’s a win-win. And if you get in the kitchen, and make some for yourself, we’ll have a win-win-win. What are you waiting for?

Veggie Dumpling Stew
  15. 1 cup frozen peas
Dumplings
  1. 1 cup white flour
  2. 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  3. 1/2 tsp salt
  4. 2 tbsp dried parsley
  5. 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
  6. 2 tbsp oil (I used olive oil)
Instructions
  1. 1. In a soup pot, saute the onions until they are starting to brown, then add the carrots and garlic, and saute another 5 minutes, or until the garlic is softened.
  2. 2. Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, water, soup base, herbs, and tamari. Simmer over medium heat, until the potatoes are softened.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons of flour and 1 cup of broth, taken from the pot.
  4. 4. Whisk until smooth; and add the flour/broth mixture back to the pot, stirring while adding.
  5. 5. For the dumplings, stir the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
  6. 6. Stir in the milk and oil. Combine with a fork until just moistened.
  7. 7. Drop the mixture by tablespoonful into the stew. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
  8. 8. Cover the pot and simmer for another 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid while the dumplings are cooking.
  9. 9. When the dumplings are done (they'll be firm, but still a little doughy), stir in the peas. Then season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
  10. 10. You can serve the stew right away, or transfer to an oven safe casserole dish and keep warm in the oven.
Are you digging my recipes? Enjoying pictures and stories about my silly twins? Check the header to follow Vegan Mother Hubbard on your favorite social media. Thanks!

Comments

1. Barb Noon says

I made this for dinner last night. With all the snow outside, it was the perfect meal! My husband used to make fun of me eating vegan, but now he seems to look forward to me cooking for him. This is progress!

• Sandra Kohlmann says

My main goal with this blog is to show the world how “normal” vegan food can be. It’s really great to hear that your omni husband liked the stew. Wonderful!

• Sandra Kohlmann says

My favorite part of writing this blog is hearing that families like my recipes. Thanks for letting me know that you’ve enjoyed the stew. I love it, too!

2. Sheena says

Made this, absolutely love it! I changed some of the recipe slightly because I use whole wheat flour instead of white flour and apple sauce instead of oil. But it still turned out great! TY

3. donna says

I’ve made this a couple of times now, and it’s officially going into my rotation. I was looking for something similar to the chicken and dumplings my mom used to make, but which I haven’t had in years since going veg. It’s delicious as is – I made it as written the first time. The second time, I made some wild rice to serve it over to increase the # of servings, and added some kale just because I had some I needed to use. Thank you so much for this recipe!

4. Marty says

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I made this for dinner tonight and it is fabulous!! I became vegan a few years ago and I have wanted to find a delicious dumpling recipe to make for my family. My 8 year old also loves it! I’m excited to try some of the other recipes on your site!

• Sandra Kohlmann says

You are very, very welcome. There is nothing I like more about this blog, than hearing that little kids are enjoying my recipes. It thrills me every time. Let me know what you try next.

5. Jesse says

This looked so good. I decided to make it for dinner. It was very good. My wife had 2 bowls and asked me to make it tomorrow. Thank you for the recipe.

6. Debbie says

Help! Is there anything that I can do with the mush that is my dumplings? I tried to use coconut flour to make these, but pulled them right back out as it just didn’t look right. We’re gonna eat the stew as is and I’m going to have to find a way to make clean dumplings some other time.

Smells delicious, though! Can’t wait…

• Debbie says

No worries! I chalked it up to education. The stew was delicious. Between myself, hubs and 2 teenaged boys, there is none left! Thank you, I’ll be making this again!!

7. Marfigs says

I sent this to my husband today asking if he thought I should make it and he especially walked across the library just to tell me “YES”, so I guess this stew is our weekend treat! :D

I’m just wondering how many servings one gets out of this batch? I haven’t eaten dumplings in years and usually stay clear of starchy potatoes, so I’m not sure how much one should actually be consuming!

Can’t wait to make this deliciousness :D

• Sandra Kohlmann says

It really depends on your appetite. I’d say anywhere for 6-10 servings, or more. I wasn’t paying attention when I last made if. If you’re concerned about the carbs, you could serve it over a bed of hearty greens, like chard or kale.

• Marfigs says

Thanks for the reply! I usually like to plan ahead for all the things I want to make and how long they will last – this looks so divine that we’ll have no problem snapping up the servings :D

• Marfigs says

By the way, does this sort of stew freeze well? We usually make our weekly foods in excesses and then freeze for weekday noshing, but with the dumplings and all that I’m not too sure! :)

• Sandra Kohlmann says

This is one dish I wouldn’t freeze. I’ve found that potatoes can get kind of spongey when frozen in a stew. And I have no idea how the dumplings would hold up.

8. Teresa says

I made this tonight and it came out amazing. Honestly, it is the best soup/stew I have ever had. Awesome recipe! Thanks.

• Sandra Kohlmann says

Will you let me know how it turns out, and any adjustments you make? I’d love to add slow cooker instructions to the recipe. Hope you love it!

• Sandra Kohlmann says

I don’t work much with coconut flour, so I’m not sure. I know coconut absorbs more liquid, so you may need to reduce the amount. The dumplings would probably be much denser. If you make them with coconut flour, let me know how they turn out. I’d love to know.

9. Michelle says

Yum! Just made this for dinner and the kids love it! I added an extra 1 1/2 cups water, which I thought was necessary as it looked like a lot of potatoes and I was glad I did. I left out the sweet potatoes, as my girls like them only plain and I ran out of dried parsley, so I added basil to the dumplings, which I love. I also omitted the sage and oregano, but it came out great! Thanks for sharing such a comforting recipe!

• Sandra Kohlmann says

Glad you made it work with the additional water and the adjustments to the herbs. Basil in the dumplings must have been delicious. Thanks for letting me know you made it and that your kids liked it. It made my day!

10. Corinne says

I’m so excited to find new blogs, especially in the Fall. My cousin told me about yours and also one called “Cooking With Mr. C.” which is on Facebook and is also a blog. I just “Liked” his page and came directly to your site. I’m so excited. My kids love when I find new blogs. Thank you. Corinne